July 17, 2014 17:22
Nagorno-Karabakh considering planting mines to shut itself off from Azerbaijan - minister
YEREVAN. July 17 (Interfax) - Nagorno-Karabakh is likely to plant mines on roads linking its northern district of Karvachar to Azerbaijan after the arrest in the enclave early this week of a group of Azeris on suspicion of sabotage, according to Armenian Defense Minister Seiran Ohanian.
On July 12, a major in the Armenian Army was killed in Nagorno-Karabakh in trying to detain one of the alleged saboteurs, and a woman was wounded in the head and taken to the hospital in Yerevan. On July 14, the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Ministry said the alleged saboteurs had been arrested.
"The Defense Army of Nagorno-Karabakh is carrying out necessary measures to find out all possible ways of access to Karvachar from Azerbaijan, and one of the measures is the planting of mines on those paths," Ohanian told an Armenian government meeting on Thursday.
He confirmed that the alleged saboteurs but had been caught.
"The regime of service on the front line has been tightened. The leadership of the Defense Army of Nagorno-Karabakh is carrying out all necessary measures. Necessary work is also being done with the population of the district," Ohanian said.
The Nagorno-Karabakh Office of the Prosecutor General launched criminal action against the alleged saboteurs. Earlier, the Armenian Defense Ministry told Interfax the detainees did not quality for war prisoner status and would be prosecuted under Armenian criminal law.
(Our editorial staff can be reached at email@example.com)
July 29, 2016
Russia political and economic calendar: July 29
July 28, 2016
Current measures have not led to decline in number of terrorist acts in world yet - FSB chief (Part 2)
FBS chief not informed of possible repeat of Nice-style attack in Russia (Part 2)
FSB in regular contact with U.S. colleagues despite problematic relationship between two countries - Bortnikov
Russian Defense Ministry expands internet resources to counter history falsifiers
Bortnikov offers to combine "disunited databases" of various countries as anti-terrorism measure
FBS chief not informed of possible repeat of Nice-style attack in Russia
FEDERAL SECURITY SERVICE DIRECTOR SAYS HAS NO INFO THAT TERRORIST ACT UNDER SCENARIO OF ATTACK IN NICE MAY BE REPEATED IN RUSSIA
DECENTRALIZATION OF TERRORISM UNDERWAY - FSB DIRECTOR
Ground surface on stretch of rail line bypassing Ukraine to be completed by Aug 6 - Russian Defense Ministry
Current measures have not led to decline in number of terrorist acts in world yet - FSB chief
Georgian defense, reconciliation ministers step down
Three killed, two injured by explosion during ammunition offload in Ukraine's Sumy region (Part 2)