April 18, 2014 18:21
Ukrainian prosecutors suspect Yanukovych, other ex-officials of setting up terrorist organization
KYIV. April 18 (Interfax) - The Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office is investigating a criminal case against a number of former top-ranking officials under Ukrainian Criminal Code Article 258 Part 3 (a terrorist attack leading to people's deaths), Prosecutor General's Office acting spokesman Vasyl Zorya said.
"It has been determined, in particular, that Viktor Yanukovych, [former Security Service chief] Oleksandr Yakymenko, and [former Interior Minister] Vitaly Zakharchenko colluded to set up a terrorist organization, whose activity led to massive losses of life on Instytutska Street in Kyiv on February 20, 2014, and also recruited Security Service and Interior Ministry servicemen to its lineup," Zorya told Interfax on Friday.
Investigative procedures are under way to find out all circumstances of this case, he said.
It was reported earlier that acting Prosecutor General Oleh Mahnitsky had said on February 26 that former Ukrainian President Yanukovych and former Interior Minister Zakharchenko had been declared internationally wanted.
According to the Prosecutor General's Office information, Yanukovych and Zakharchenko had been indicted under Ukrainian Criminal Code Article 265 (abuse of office or powers, which carries correctional work for up 2 years, or limitation of freedom for up to 5 years, or prison time ranging from 2 to 5 years combined with a ban on occupying certain positions or being engaged in certain activities for up to 3 years) and Article 115 (premeditated murder, punishable by 7 to 15 years of prison time).
(Our editorial staff can be reached at email@example.com)
December 21, 2014
Nazarbayev not complaining about health
Over 88% of electorate vote in Uzbek parliamentary elections
Russian Armed Forces more efficient thanks to foreign partners - Putin
Russian army getting a makeover - Putin
Putin thanks military for concerted actions in Crime
Kazakhstanis have no reason for economic worries - Nazarbayev
Kazakhstan not immediately affected by anti-Russian sanctions - Nazarbayev
Kazakhstan to stick to multi-vector policy - Nazarbayev
Defense Ministry to devise new 2016-2020 defense plan - Shoigu
Donetsk Republic establishes ombudsman's office
Russian aid trucks unloaded in Donetsk, return to Rostov region
Hydrogen sulfide levels normal - ministry
Belarus ready to promote peace in Ukraine - Lukashenko
Germany‘s E.ON is spinning its Russian business off to a "New Company" which will be transferred to the company‘s shareholders, with plans to list it in 2016. Apart from the Russia business, the new company will receive all of E.ON‘s conventional energy assets. E.ON itself will focus on renewable energy and innovation. Johannes Teyssen, E.ON‘s CEO, told Interfax in an interview of the logic behind the decision and its implications for the concern‘s Russian subsidiary OJSC E.ON Russia.
Australian Ambassador to Russia Paul Myler has given an interview to Interfax ahead of the G20 summit in Brisbane in which he speaks about the MH17 crash, the reasons for joining the West‘s sanctions against Russia and explained why Australia expects changes in Russia‘s food policy by March 2015.
The name Arkady Rotenberg has been in the news far more frequently than usual in recent months. The billionaire was hit by the first wave of European Union sanctions against Russia, and has already challenged this decision in court. Recently it was reported that the businessman has sold part of his assets to his eldest son. Arkady Rotenberg spoke in an interview with Interfax about whether there was a link between these two developments, the impact of sanctions on his business, his friendship with President Vladimir Putin and many other topics.